Head of Business Operations
Boston, Massachusetts, United States (This job is on-site)
We are seeking a highly-motivated, proactive individual to manage, maintain, and evolve operations for a 30-person team. This position reports directly to the CEO and will oversee general operations, including finance, legal, HR, and hiring. We have a strong ownership culture, and you will be responsible for empowering and supporting our scientific team to perform cutting-edge R&D. We are on an ambitious mission to redefine therapeutics discovery, and operations excellence is crucial. The best candidate will bring thoughtful long-term vision and planning combined with the ability to roll up your sleeves and problem-solve as needed.
- Be a strategic thinker to enable the organization as it scales, advise employees navigating essential topics, and be a proven collaborator with critical functional partners.
- Communicate recommendations and decision-making process to the CEO to enable efficient and optimal operational updates
- Own financial functions (reporting and projections) directly and/or in collaboration with consultants
- Oversee the recruiting function by establishing clear internal alignment on new roles and helping manage and evolve our hiring process.
- Ensure awareness of and compliance with state and federal employment regulations; monitor legislative matters impacting human resources.
- Own the implementation of performance management and compensation decisions, with the aid of consultants as needed
- Bachelors or Masters and 5+ years of experience in operations (biotech / pharma preferred)
- Pragmatic and efficient problem solver and decision maker, knowing when to roll up your sleeves and when to outsource
- Has owned operations responsibilities in a startup of less than 50 people, as well as larger organizations
- Self-motivated, highly organized, proactive, and able to multitask
- Experience creating and implementing new operations procedures and processes
- Process-driven and detail-oriented, and good at inspiring others to follow procedures
- Service-oriented mindset with a love for enabling teams and individuals
- Collaborative, curious, and flexible with strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Skilled with relevant software tools (Google Drive, Powerpoint, Excel, etc.)
- Background/expertise in financial planning and owning a multi-million dollar budget
- Operational experience scaling a biotech startup
- Medical insurance
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- Paid maternity leave
- Commuter benefits
- Disability insurance