Scientist/Senior Scientist - mRNA Formulation
Germantown, Maryland, United States
The mRNA Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist, Formulation, will have broad responsibilities. You will be playing a critical role in vaccine formulation and development. You will be responsible for performing analytical characterization of candidate molecules by using various biophysical and biochemical characterization techniques. You will also be performing in-vitro and in-vivo experiments. This is a laboratory-based position performing formulation and process development activities specifically for mRNA vaccines from pre-clinical to clinical trials through manufacturing process performance qualification, license application and commercialization. Furthermore, you will assist in developing processes for drug product manufacturing, responsible for data compilation, data presentations and report writing.
- Lead in developing Lipid, peptide. or polymeric nanoparticle formulation for mRNA delivery. Assist developing manufacturing processes.
- Identify nanoparticle leads to screen for mRNA formulation design.
- Perform rapid, comprehensive characterization of candidate formulation designs to determine the stability and efficacy profile, by designing and performing various experiments using biophysical, biochemical.
- Perform in-vitro and in-vivo experiments to test different formulation designs.
- Participate in troubleshooting and improving formulation design.
- Prepare data summary presentation, compiling data and authoring technical reports.
- Communicate effectively with scientists, project managers, colleagues and external vendors for numerous functions.
- Travel up to 10% (domestic and international) may be required.
- PhD in biomedical engineering, organic chemistry or related field and at least 0-3 years industry experience, or a Masters degree with a minimum 4-8 years industry experience is required, or the equivalent training/experience required.
- Formulation and drug delivery background
- Lipid chemistry background is highly required
- Experience and knowledge of chemical and molecular biology analytical techniques, like in vitro and in vivo experiments
- Experience and knowledge of formulation and process consideration for RNA therapeutics and vaccines
- Familiarity with GLP/GMP requirements and scale-up and technology transfer to pilot/commercial scale
- Excellent team player and interpersonal skills are required.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft suite, Graphpad, and LIMs is required.
- Ability to work full-time onsite in Gaithersburg, MD.
- Ability to travel up to 10% (domestic and international) preferred.
What We Offer
- Competitive medical, dental and vision plans; life insurance, short-term and long-term disability; 401(k).
- Paid vacation days.
- This is an on-site role; if you currently reside outside the D.C., Maryland, Virginia region and needs relocation, we will provide you relocation assistance.