Senior Research Scientist - Formulation
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Scismic is supporting the growth of a biotech startup in Boston, MA developing a drug delivery platform to convert injectable therapies into oral modalities.
They are hiring a Senior Research Scientist to aid in the formulation of our novel oral products focusing on biologics (e.g., proteins), but also small molecules and nucleic acids. This position will work within a small, multi-functional research team to move products from Discovery through Pre-clinical phases, and support CMC, clinical and IND activities. The qualified candidate will possess state-of-the-art expertise related to formulation production theories, principles, methods and techniques for targeted delivery of proteins. They will be involved in planning and execution of developmental programs for a wide variety of pipeline products. They will keep up with the latest information about the trends, improvement methods, and functions of currently used pharmaceutical drugs.
- Formulation of orally delivered biologic drugs
- Executing appropriate investigational procedures that are pertinent to the reactions, composition, relationships, structure, and properties of the compounds and products
- Identifying new techniques, tools, and procedures to analyze formulations while making use of various methods such as titration, FT-IR, HPLC, etc., to identify the material and chemical characteristics of the formulation substances
- Supporting the development of products through CMC by preparing quality assurance documentation including formulation specifications
- Conducting in vitro and in vivo (small animal) studies to test formulations
- PhD in pharmaceutical science, biological/chemical engineering, or a related field and at least five years of hands-on industry experience in protein or similar biologic drug formulation is required.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge about the basic and advanced concepts related to materials science and pharmaceutical development and familiarity with the pertinent analysis techniques.
- An independent worker and self-starter who is dependable, articulate, accurate, and mature.
- Flexibility and the ability to multi-task is key to working in a fast-paced and constantly evolving start-up environment.
- Solid written and verbal skills and the ability to maintain laboratory records are crucial. Strong teamwork, interpersonal and observational skills are required.
- Lift/push/pull up to 25 pounds
- Work safely with chemicals, drugs and standard laboratory equipment
- Wear protective clothing including masks and gloves
- Occasionally work on weekends or holidays