Lab Manager / Lab Operations Manager
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
We are seeking a Laboratory Manager / Lab Operations Manager, to support the company's mission of developing novel tRNA-based gene therapies for rare genetic diseases. This position requires a highly organized personality, great attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with scientists as well as team leads. The successful candidate will join the company's mission to positively impact patients with serious unmet medical needs while working closely with our world-class scientific team.
- Laboratory operational lead with oversight of lab organization and operations in a multidisciplinary biotechnology laboratory.
- Coordinate procurement, inventory management, shipping & receiving of lab supplies and equipment.
- Monitor and maintain laboratory equipment, schedule routine repairs/calibrations, and manage service contract renewals and software/hardware upgrades.
- Manage/upgrade electronic inventory databases for chemical and biological reagents (e.g. plasmids, viruses, antibodies, etc.). Ensure inventory management systems meet end-user requirements.
- Plan and co-ordinate large-scale facility changes including lab reorganizations and/or expansion to new space within the Cambridge area.
- Maintain/build relations with external vendors to facilitate equipment acquisition and maintenance, keep track of warranties or service contracts
- Assist with domestic/international shipping between internal and external collaborators; work with R&D team to ensure appropriate storage, documentation, and processing of samples.
- Coordinate with third party facilities and EH&S services to maintain a safe, compliant, and fully-functional work environment.
- Work with Finance team to establish the lab operating budget and provide reporting for purchase details, analysis, and project allocations
- Be able to assist with basic laboratory tasks and/or provide experimental support as the need arises
- Evaluate and make recommendation to Research Team Leads and Management for improvement of operations.
- Be highly organized and able to adapt to changing priorities, be a team player.
- BS or MS in Biology/Life Sciences, Chemistry, Physics, or a related discipline.
- 5+ years of experience working in a biological wet lab as a Research Associate or Senior Research Associate. Preference will be given to candidates who worked as Lab Managers in a full or part-time capacity
- A highly organized personality with good time management skills
- Previous lab safety training/experience
- Experience with purchasing platforms and vendor relations is desired
- Experience with basic wet lab skills relevant to molecular and cellular biology (e.g. cloning, PCR, cell culture) is desirable
- Experience working in a Biotech or related industry is a plus
- Ability to master new concepts and technologies quickly, highly organized, with excellent oral and written communication skills